Friday, April 11, 2014

Cafe Cheka 菓子・茶房 - Kyoto, Japan

Cafe Cheka - A petite cafe hidden among a row of housing area, located on the street that runs along the north wall of the zoo, and a stone's throw from the beautiful Heian Shrine. This cafe caught my attention from its Tiramisu images I got from Google results. There weren't many reviews available (while most of it were in Japanese) and I was really glad that from the very minimal reviews of this cafe, they led me to this ethereal cafe.


Where the charming servers prepare your drinks. The setting makes you feel like as if you're attending your very own private tea ceremony.

With its minimal seating capacity (approx. 12 at its max), it's the kind of place where you can read a book or flip through magazines for hours, without being disturbed. 

Just in time for this delicate seasonal piece - the sakura cake. The light sakura fragrance makes this a very refreshing piece and before I realized... I've finished the whole piece.

I can't seem to reject strawberries when I was in Japan/Korea. Everything with strawberries look too good, and this tart - it tastes just as good as its look. I would say it's a safe choice, strawberries never let me down. :D

What's not to be missed in Japan? Among many other things, one of it has to be freshly brewed matcha (green tea). Never doubt Japanese in serving their matcha; when this was served I have doubts in my heart - thinking why it looked so greeny, assuming it will taste as strong as it looks. Man I was wrong, ultimately. This bowl of matcha offers a very light taste, every sip gives you the chance to enjoy the original fragrance of matcha. 

I was disappointed that the Tiramisu was sold out on my first visit, so before I left Kyoto, I revisit Cafe Cheka for its Tiramisu - where you can find nowhere else.

"Do-nut mistaken me as a doughnut, I'm a Tiramisu"
Too good. The base crust, the inner fillings, the chocolate coating, the jelly, the nuts...perfect combination. It's by far the most unique-looking and delicious Tiramisu I've had. If I was given a chance to master one dessert recipe, this will be my pick!  

The communal table has very interesting chairs. :D
These couple of pics pretty much sum up the seating area of the entire cafe. 
Stunning and delicious pastries with quality tea on a quiet afternoon - pure decadence.

I'd love to be back, wait, I can't wait to be back for all the pastries and tea. 
...also for the quiet, homey and efficient service :)

No comments:

Post a Comment