Friday, July 11, 2014

Last Summer (July 2013) - Norway - Part 1 (Bergen)

It's a year overdue. But I thought I'll have to post, for it's the best summer I've ever had (also my first summer in Europe actually haha). While I was looking at which country to go, I became fickle minded. Initial plan was Dubrovnik, Croatia, then I went on to Sicily, Italy. And I went farther away, all the way to Moscow! I've settled with Norway as closer to my departure to London, airfare to most destinations in Europe hiked up so much, including Dubrovnik. And Bergen, Norway had the lowest fare! Bergen was an unintentional choice, but it turned out to be a truly remarkable one. (It is a very much underrated city in fact!)

As I read more about Bergen (after booking my flight), I find it matches what I'm looking for in that trip:
surrounded by mountains, the gateway to the Norwegian Fjords, laid-back atmosphere, a not so popular destination among foreign travelers (the most important point! As I was pretty bored with crowded cities flooded with tourists at that time), and then Bryggen, the picturesque harbour which caught my attention the most.

First glimpse of the Scandinavian country.


Almost landing. 

On the way to Bergen town - a less than 20 minutes ride. View from the bus.
* Bergen airport has the friendliest immigration officer! 

 Seems unreal! First glimpse of Bryggen, a UNESCO Heritage listed place.

 The wooden buildings facing the port of Bergen, with the very-much-appreciated-sunny weather = picture perfect! *Bergen has been nicknamed as the City of Rain in Norway, which makes up most of the 2250mm yearly average precipitation. (It's is also one of the warmest cities in the country.)

 Just the locals (including the photogenic dog) embracing the perfect weather. 

Port of Bergen. Almost all yachts (99%) were occupied by the locals, enjoying the rare sunny day. 

The hotel receptionist told us that we're very lucky as it's been raining everyday since a couple of weeks ago before we arrived. This town is surely brimming with charms under the bright blue sky. 

At the time these photos were taken, it was around 8pm in the evening. That said, dinner time! Our first dinner in Norway was nothing extravaganza but simply great, we picked our choice of seafood fresh from the Fish Market and had it by the wharf. 

Norwegian salmon in Norway! Ok I did get a little too excited.


After dinner we walked around the wharf, to the opposite harbour overlooking the wooden buildings. And we were at the wharf until 10pm plus... and the sun won't set. 

Too breathtaking! I am completely in love with Norwegian architecture - it's simple, elegant and modest, if I were to describe in my own terms. That's the Fløien Mountain (320 metres above sea level), which you can reach by taking a short ride with Fløibanen Funicular. It offers spectacular views of the city, the mountains, the fjords and the sea. 


I was waiting for sunset, until 11pm, and it's still as bright as ever. I can't stand the sleepiness anymore so I went back to our hotel to sleep. That's it, I thought it's such a waste that I've missed the first sunset in Norway. 

- To be continued - 

No comments:

Post a Comment