Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Hardware Société - Melbourne, Australia

It's my first stop after touching down. My friends and I arrived at the shop at about 9 am and there's no queue (somehow). I missed it on my last visit as the queue was really long so I was really excited to be trying it this time!


Loving the menu cover.

They have quite a long list of dishes. We had problem in deciding since each dish seems interesting as per described in the menu. I picked mine by ordering the same dish the lady next to me was having (always! The easiest way to decide on my orders lol).
The interior is not at all related to its name; it is, somehow, rather French to me (even the menu). It's bright and rustic and chic - especially the butterflies wall! "Les Papillons" kept crossing through my mind.

Very nice latte art however the taste itself was a huge disappointment. I can barely taste the "coffee" nor the sweetness of the milk; it was very diluted IMHO. I was expecting a decent cup since THS is a very hyped up place in Melbourne and also, the bar uses a Slayer...

Mine - Pork belly & fried eggs. Imagine having this early in the morning, after almost 8 hours of flight! Oh so sinful but it's totally yummy in the tummy! Served together with herbed potato medallions, quince aioli and wilted greens. Cutting through the brittle crackling skin it's the fatty layer and then the tender and succulent meat. The quince aioli seemed to balance out the richness of the fat. The fried eggs made this dish look more like a breakfast one and the greens have greatly reduced the sense of guiltiness of having such yummy and sinful dish in the morning!

 Friend's Baked Eggs - one of the most popular dishes in THS. With Chorizo, potato, piquillo peppers, quoso machon, toasted almonds and aioli. I'm never a fan of baked eggs but this was pretty good; okay since I'm not a fan I'm not gonna lie. I don't know how a good baked eggs should taste like but at least I could finish this by myself..

Herb Roasted Mushrooms - twice cooked gruyere de comte souffle, mushroom medley. A vegetarian dish and don't get it at first - what's de comte? But who cares! When in doubt, go for mushrooms and eggs - these 2 will never go wrong. And hey, it's proven so! 

The prices are fair. I wouldn't mind at all returning for the food but coffee? Nope. (I've read many reviews/posts that say this place serves one of the best coffee in Melbourne but neither of us agree to that.) I guess you just have to try it out on your own to find out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment