Monday, February 10, 2014

What does TRAVEL mean to me?

Travel is not about getting more stamps in your passport nor taking lots of photos as proofs of travel; travel is way more than that. It is up to you to travel like a tourists or a traveler. A tourist sees things that they deemed they have to see; a traveler does more than that. A traveler figures out why does he have to see, and learn the knowledge and stories behind everything that he sees.

Travel gives us a deeper insights into the world, each country and its people and culture. Learn about other people's lives, learn to find out how small you are in the world.

When you spread open the world map, honestly it does not look as big to me. It only takes me 3 minutes, or less, to draw out the world. But travel does not happen on papers, it does not happen on the surface. I do not know what travel means to you. But to me, I think, travel makes one modest. It shapes the beliefs, attitude and behaviors of one over time. It teaches you life lessons. It broadens your knowledge and perspectives. Learn to know that, travel, sometimes is not all about the destination, but the journey that makes the trip a remarkable one.

And, DON'T LABEL each destination according to your own views and assumptions. Learn what the locals do, learn about the local culture and histories. You'll realize each destination is unique in its own way, possessing distinctive characteristics.  Life is a never-ending learning journey, and travel is a wonderful way to do so.

I get this question a lot, "you must be rich since you get to travel so often!" And lately whenever I bumped into friends somewhere the first question they asked was "oh aren't you in overseas?"

No, that is not true. I was born in a middle-range family which travel overseas is considered as luxurious. But having awesome parents, we did travel domestically and to our neighboring countries. I only started travelling to farther destinations since I started work. And later did I find out that it is such an unstoppable act!

Anyway back to me being rich to travel so often. The key is, plan your budget wisely! NEVER spend more than you could afford. If  you have less budget, start off with somewhere nearer and which expenses are lower. There are definitely places where you can travel to if you plan everything around wisely!

In fact, I really don't travel as frequent as people deemed I do. That scenario happened because I only update my social media sites when/after I travel thus giving the impression that I'm always travelling.

Slowly, I'm glad to be making footsteps to more destinations, learning more about people and places around the world.

What about you? What does travel mean to you? Share your thoughts with me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment